Instagram’s growth in India has been nothing short of explosive, with the platform becoming a staple of everyday life for millions of Indians. As the popularity of visual storytelling continues to soar, Instagram has become the go-to platform for individuals, businesses, and influencers alike, providing a dynamic space for creativity, connection, and community building.
From sharing captivating photos and videos to engaging with diverse content, Indian users have embraced Instagram’s vibrant ecosystem, shaping trends and driving unprecedented levels of user engagement. This remarkable surge in Instagram’s user base in India reflects the platform’s profound impact on the social media landscape, setting the stage for exciting developments and opportunities in the years to come.
List of 100+ Instagram Statistics, Trends & More
In this article, we’ll dive into the latest Instagram statistics in India, including usage patterns, demographics, user behaviours, advertising insights, and much more of Indian users.
Discover the latest Instagram statistics in India and what they mean for businesses and marketers in our comprehensive guide
Top Instagram User Statistics in India (Editor's Pick)
- India has the highest number of Instagram users by country in the world, making it one of the most-used social media platforms in India.
- As of the latest Instagram statistics, India has a whopping 357,300, 000 Instagram users in 2023. This accounts for 24.8% of the entire Indian population.
- Instagram has a higher male user share (65.8%) compared to female users as of the latest reports.
- Instagram is particularly popular among younger Indians, with over 70% of its user base in India being under the age of 34.
- The largest user group is people aged 18 to 24 with a total of 140,000,000.
- Among the age group of 25-34, there is a significant difference between the number of male and female users on Instagram in India, with men leading by 78,100000.
- Virat Kohli is the most followed person on Instagram in India.
- The most-followed Indian Instagram accounts are dominated by Bollywood celebrities, with Virat Kohli and Narendra Modi being the only non-Bollywood personalities in the top 10.
- By the end of 2023, Instagram is projected to surpass 2.5 billion users.
- India is Instagram's biggest audience in terms of 'Time Spent.' Users spend an average of 11.7 hours per month on the platform.
Instagram User Demographic Stats In India
Before we head into this informative piece, here are some popular statistics:
- How Many People Use Instagram?
According to Statista, India had 357 million Instagram users in June 2023, which accounted for 24.8% of its entire population.
- How About India's Instagram Userbase by Age?
The average age of Indian Instagram users: 24 years old.
- 65.8% of Instagram users in India are male, while 34.2% are female.
- The majority of Instagram users in India come from urban areas.
- What Is The Time Spent On Instagram?
On a monthly basis, users in India spend an average of 11.7 hours on Instagram.
- Instagram usage in India is more prevalent among people with higher income and education levels.
- Mumbai has the highest number of Instagram users in India.
- Over 50% of Instagram users in India follow at least one business account.
- 40% of Indian Instagram users have made a purchase after seeing an ad on the platform.
- 80% of Indian Instagram users say that they are more likely to visit a store after seeing a post about it on Instagram.
- 70% of Indian Instagram users say that they are more likely to buy a product after seeing a review of it on Instagram.
- 60% of Indian Instagram users say that they are more likely to follow a brand on Instagram if they see that their friends are following it.
- 50% of Indian Instagram users say that they are more likely to engage with a brand’s content on Instagram if they feel like they have a personal connection with the brand.
- 40% of Indian Instagram users say that they are more likely to share a brand’s content on their own Instagram stories if they feel like they have a personal connection with the brand.
- Instagram is the second most popular social media platform in India after Facebook.
- India is the country with the second-largest number of Instagram users globally, after the US.
- Instagram usage in India is expected to reach 355 million users by 2023.
- The most popular Instagram accounts in India belong to celebrities and influencers.
| Did You Know!!!|
India is Instagram's most expensive audience in the world for time spent on the time, and highest-ever user base.
- Top 5 cities with the most Instagram users in India: Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai.
- Top 5 industries with the most Instagram users in India: Fashion, beauty, food, travel, technology.
- Average time spent on Instagram per day: 45 minutes
- Most popular Instagram hashtags in India: #love, #instagood, #photooftheday, #beautiful, #fashion
- Most popular Instagram accounts in India: Virat Kohli, Priyanka Chopra, Shraddha Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, and Neha Kakkar.
- Most popular Instagram Stories features in India: Boomerang, Polls, Countdowns, Questions, Stickers
- Most popular Instagram Live features in India: Q&A, Live Shopping, Live Music
- Top 5 ways Indian businesses use Instagram: Marketing, customer service, social media listening, brand awareness, and lead generation.
- Top 5 Instagram marketing challenges in India: Reach, engagement, authenticity, content creation, measurement
Instagram Reels Statistics in India
- The average Indian Instagram user spends 25 minutes per day watching Reels.
- The most popular Reels categories in India are fashion, beauty, comedy, and music.
- Over 50% of Indian Instagram users have created a Reel at least once.
- Over 30% of Indian Instagram users have watched a Reel that they have been tagged in.
- Over 20% of Indian Instagram users have shared a Reel on their story.
| Did You Know!!!|
Nearly half of Instagram users (about 40%) post stories every day.
Instagram User Engagement Statistics In India
- The average engagement rate for Instagram posts in India is 0.4%.
- The most engaged Instagram posts are those that are visually appealing, informative, and shareable.
- Instagram users are more likely to engage with posts that are relevant to their interests.
- Instagram users are more likely to engage with posts that are posted during peak hours.
- Instagram users are more likely to engage with posts that use relevant hashtags.
Instagram Reels and Engagement in the World
- Engagement rates are higher for carousel posts than for photo or video posts.
- Instagram Reels have higher engagement rates than standard video posts.
- Instagram users are watching more videos on the platform.
- Instagram users are liking more posts each day.
- Longer captions lead to higher engagement.
- The average Instagram post uses 10.7 hashtags.
- Instagram users are more likely to engage with posts from accounts they follow.
- People are spending more time on Instagram each day.
- Photos with faces get more engagement than photos without faces.
- Videos get more engagement than images.
- Reels are popular with Gen Z users.
- Posts with tagged locations get more engagement than posts without tags.
- Instagram was created in 2010 by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger.
- Instagram was acquired by Facebook in 2012 for $1 billion.
- Instagram has over 1 billion active users worldwide.
- Instagram users post over 95 million photos and videos per day.
- The most followed Instagram celebrity is Cristiano Ronaldo, with over 380 million followers.
- The most followed Instagram influencer is Selena Gomez, with over 412 million followers.
- Instagram Stories were introduced in 2016 and are now used by over 500 million people per day.
- Instagram Live was introduced in 2016 and is now used by over 200 million people per day.
- Instagram Direct was introduced in 2013 and is now used by over 700 million people per day.
- Instagram Shopping was introduced in 2016 and allows users to shop directly from Instagram posts.
- Instagram Reels were introduced in 2020 and are similar to TikTok videos.
- Instagram has a variety of advertising options, including sponsored posts, promoted posts, and branded content.
Here are some more Instagram facts that you might not know:
- The first Instagram post was a photo of Kevin Systrom’s dog, Brutus.
- Instagram was originally called Burbn, but the name was changed because it was too similar to another app called Foursquare.
- Instagram is available in over 90 languages.
- The most popular Instagram photo of all time is a photo of the Eiffel Tower, which has been liked over 36 million times.
- Instagram has been used to raise over $1 billion for charity.
Instagram Ads Insights (India & Global)
- Instagram ads reach over 1 billion people every day.
- Over 60% of Instagram users say that they have taken action after seeing an ad on the platform.
- The most popular Instagram ad formats are photo ads, video ads, and carousel ads.
- The most popular Instagram ad placements are the home feed, the explore page, and Stories.
- The most effective Instagram ad targeting options are interests, demographics, and behaviors.
- The average cost per click (CPC) for Instagram ads is $0.70.
- The average cost per engagement (CPE) for Instagram ads is $0.50.
- The average cost per conversion (CPS) for Instagram ads is $1.00.
Notable Instagram DAU/MAU Milestones
- February 2013: Instagram hit 100 million MAU.
- June 2016: Instagram hit 600 million MAU.
- June 2018: Instagram hit 1 billion MAU.
- December 2021: Instagram hit 2 billion MAU.
- January 2023: Instagram hit approximately 2 billion MAU.
Instagram App Penetration Rates Vs. Smartphone Users
- Who's got the highest penetration rate?
Below is an estimated penetration rate by the number of Instagram users in top countries.
|Country||Total population (MM)||Smartphone owners (MM)||Smartphone penetration (%)||Instagram users (MM)||Instagram penetration (%)|
- As you can see above, Instagram has a high penetration rate in the United States. According to a recent study, 46.2% of all smartphone owners in the US have Instagram installed on their phones.
- The countries with the highest app adoption are Brazil, Indonesia, and Turkey. These countries have a young population and a growing middle class. They also have a strong cultural affinity for visual content, which is what Instagram is all about.
Sources: (eMarketer) | (Statista) | (BankMyCell)
- Video-first Content:
Video is still king on Instagram, and this trend is only going to continue in the years to come. Businesses should focus on creating high-quality, engaging video content that will capture the attention of their target audience.
Reels are a short-form video format that has quickly become one of the most popular features on Instagram. Businesses should use Reels to share behind-the-scenes content, product demonstrations, and other creative videos that will entertain and engage their followers.
- Instagram Rooms
Instagram Rooms is one of the latest rollouts that allows you to go live with up to 3 guests. It is a highly requested update that allows creators to have more creative freedom and reach a wider audience.
- Live Shopping
Live shopping is a new trend that allows businesses to sell products directly to their followers through live video. This is a great way to build relationships with customers and boost sales.
- AR Filters
AR filters are a fun and engaging way to interact with followers. Businesses can use AR filters to promote their products, create branded experiences, and gamify their content.
NFTs are a new type of digital asset that is quickly gaining popularity on Instagram. Businesses can use NFTs to create unique and collectible digital experiences for their fans.
- Creator-led Content
Creator-led content is a powerful way to reach a wider audience and build relationships with potential customers. Businesses should partner with creators who have a large following and who align with their brand values.
- Branded Experiences
Businesses can create branded experiences on Instagram to engage followers and drive sales. This could include anything from hosting a live event to creating a branded AR filter.
- Community Building
Instagram is a great platform for building a community around your brand. Businesses should focus on creating content that is relevant to their target audience and that encourages engagement.
- User-generated Content
User-generated content (UGC) is a great way to show off your products and services in a real-world setting. Businesses should encourage followers to share photos and videos of themselves using your products or services.
Hashtags are a great way to get your content seen by more people. Businesses should use relevant hashtags when posting content to help it reach a wider audience.
- Vertical Video
Vertical video is becoming increasingly popular as more and more people use their smartphones to consume content. Businesses should create vertical videos that are optimized for mobile viewing. As per research by Mediabrix, vertical videos have proven to be a game changer receiving a 90% greater completion rate versus horizontal videos.
Instagram has made it easier for businesses to add links to their content. In the past, only verified accounts or accounts with over 10,000 followers could add links to their posts. However, Instagram has now opened up this feature to all users. This helps businesses to drive traffic to their website or landing pages.
- Instagram Carousels
Instagram carousels have become a popular trend ever since the feature rollout to engage the audience. This allows you to share multiple photos, videos, etc in a single post. This is great to tell a story, showcasing products or services, or share being the scenes content with ease.
- Instant Translation
Instant translation is a feature on Instagram that allows users to translate comments, captions, and profiles into their preferred language. This feature is available in over 90 languages and has helped Instagram expand its reach to users outside of English-speaking countries.
- Ephemeral Messages
Ephemeral messages are private messages that disappear after they are viewed. These messages are a great way to share photos, videos, and text with friends and family without worrying about them being saved or shared. Ephemeral messages are available in both Instagram Direct and Instagram Stories.
- Feed Algorithm
The Instagram feed algorithm is a complex system that determines which posts you see in your feed. The algorithm takes into account a variety of factors, including the accounts you follow, the posts you interact with, and the time of day you are most active on Instagram. The goal of the algorithm is to show you the posts that you are most likely to be interested in.
Some of the most popular Instagram trends in 2023 include video-first content, Reels, live shopping, AR filters, and NFTs.
The Bot Problems (The Global Scenario)
- Instagram has a bot problem. A recent study found that as many as 95 million of Instagram’s 1 billion monthly active users are bots. This is a significant increase from 2015 when only 7.9% of Instagram users were bots.
- Bots are bad for influencers and brands. Influencers get paid based on their audience size, so if their followers are mostly bots, they’re not actually reaching as many people as they think. This can lead to brands losing money when they partner with influencers who have inflated follower counts.
- Fake bot fans cost brands $1.3 billion in 2019. This is according to a study by Cheq, a cybersecurity firm for digital media.
Influencers Payment (Globally & In India)
- Influencers with under 10,000 followers get paid around $88 to post.
- Influencers with under 100,000 followers get paid around $200 to post.
- Influencers with 250,000 to 500,000 followers will get paid around $670 per post.
- But how much do Instagrammers with 1 million followers earn?
Influencers with over 1 million followers will get paid around $1,870 per post.
- What is the income earned by Instagrammers with 5 million followers globally?
Instagrammers with 5 million followers can earn anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 per sponsored post. The exact amount they earn will depend on a number of factors, including their niche, engagement rate, and the brand they are working with.
- How Much Do Indian Influencers Earn On Instagram?
Content creators with a following of 50,000 to 80,000 charge around Rs 14,843 per post. The higher the following, the more the payment.
- Indian influencers with 250,000 to 500,000 followers charge nearly Rs 50,000. However, the figures can change based on the industry, location, niche, etc.
Instagram, India, and Content Creator Base
- According to the latest report by Zefmo, Instagram, and YouTube are the most preferred choices for social media influencers, despite the rapid growth of short video platforms in India.
- YouTube dominated the market with a 38% share, while Instagram captured 11%.
- Twitter and Facebook followed behind with 6% and 9%, respectively.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When did Instagram start?
Instagram was founded in the year 2010, specifically on October 6th. The platform was initially released in Apple's App Store, and recorded 25,000 users on day one, after which it touched a million users in less than 3 months.
2. How much data does Instagram use?
Tests indicate that Instagram consumes approximately 64 MB of data every ten minutes. On average, individuals might use between 400 MB and 600 MB of data per hour while browsing their feeds. These figures can vary depending on the content being viewed like video, images, etc.
3. How many Instagram users are there worldwide?
Presently, there are over 2.35 billion active users on Instagram each month. This places Instagram as the fourth most popular social media platform in terms of Monthly Active Users (MAUs). Projections suggest that by the end of 2023, the platform could reach over 2.5 billion users. Approximately 47.84% of the global population's 4.18 billion smartphone users access Instagram every month.
4. How many times is an Instagram story viewed?
Instagram story is typically viewed once per user. Even if a user revisits the same story, it's still counted as a single view.
5. Where is Instagram’s data stored?
Instagram primarily stores its data using PostgreSQL. This database holds a significant portion of the platform's data, including user information, photos, tags, and meta-tags.
6. How long does Instagram retain data?
Copies of content might be retained in backup storage for more than 90 days, as this is used for recovery in situations involving disasters, data loss, software errors, etc.
7. How can I check my insights/statistics on Instagram?
To view statistics on Instagram, follow these steps:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap the Insights action button.
- Alternatively, you can tap the "Insights option in the upper right corner.
8. How often should I post on Instagram?
A recommended posting frequency is between 2 to 3 times per week, and it's advised not to exceed posting more than 1 to 2 times per day.
9. What are some of the most popular features on Instagram?
Some of the most popular features on Instagram include:
- Stories: Stories are a temporary feature that allows users to share photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours.
- Reels: Reels are short, looping videos that can be up to 90 seconds long.
- IGTV: IGTV is a long-form video platform that allows users to share videos up to 60 minutes long.
- Live: Live is a feature that allows users to broadcast live video to their followers.
10. How can I use Instagram for business?
Instagram can be a powerful tool for businesses of all sizes. Businesses can use Instagram to:
- Connect with customers and potential customers
- Promote products and services
- Build brand awareness
- Drive traffic to their website
- Generate leads and sales
11. How can I grow my Instagram following?
There are a number of ways to grow your Instagram following, including:
- Posting high-quality content
- Using relevant hashtags
- Running contests and giveaways
- Collaborating with other users
- Promoting your account on other social media platforms
12. What are the most common Instagram mistakes?
Some of the most common Instagram mistakes include:
- Posting low-quality content
- Not using relevant hashtags
- Not engaging with other users
- Not promoting your account
- Using too many filters
13. What are the best practices for using Instagram?
Some of the best practices for using Instagram include:
- Post high-quality content that is relevant to your target audience.
- Use relevant hashtags to help people find your content.
- Engage with other users by liking and commenting on their posts.
- Promote your account on other social media platforms.
- Use filters sparingly and only when they enhance your content.
14.What are some of the challenges of using Instagram?
Some of the challenges of using Instagram include:
- It can be difficult to stand out from the crowd.
- It can be time-consuming to post high-quality content on a regular basis.
- It can be difficult to engage with other users if you have a large following.
- Instagram can be addictive.
15. What is the future of Instagram?
Instagram is constantly evolving, and it is difficult to say what the future holds for the platform. However, it is likely that Instagram will continue to be a popular social media platform for businesses and individuals alike.
Instagram has emerged as a powerful tool for marketing and promotion. With features like Reels and interactive visual shopping, brands are witnessing exceptional engagement rates and leveraging the platform’s potential to convert users into customers.
Instagram’s captivating appeal and its role in driving eCommerce make it a valuable asset for businesses seeking to expand their online presence and reach a wider audience. In the near future, the platform's growth seems promising, however, the rollout of new features is what would likely determine the rise or fall. Let's see how things take shape.
We hope you loved reading through this informative statistical piece. We encourage you to follow us for more updates.
Thanks for reading.
- List of 100+ Instagram Statistics, Trends & More
- Discover the latest Instagram statistics in India and what they mean for businesses and marketers in our comprehensive guide
- Instagram User Demographic Stats In India
- Instagram Reels and Engagement in the World
- The Bot Problems (The Global Scenario)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ending Thoughts