Shoes play a vital role in deciding how you look in each outfit. Choosing the right type of shoes for the occasion will spice up your stylish quotient. If you are a fashionable person and love to flaunt your sense of style, then it’s essential to pay attention to the shoes you are wearing. Apart from complimenting your attire, shoes are the first thing that creates a positive impression on you.
It’s about time to revamp your shoe closet and have a complete stock of all types of shoes, which are must-have essentials to suit every occasion and season. If you are not familiar with different styles of shoes, our guide on the ten best types of men’s shoes will help you choose wisely to make that dashing impression. Be it the attention-grabbing brogues or stylish and edgy oxfords, and we have listed them out just for you.
List of Top 18 Types Of Men’s Shoes That Every Guy Should Know
We have compiled a list of the most popular types of shoes for men. Take a look at these.
- Designed to be one of the finest and most regal footwear for men, Oxfords would easily grab the first place in the list of the popular type of shoes that every man wishes to own
- This dress shoe has its origin in Ireland and Scotland and rose to popularity when the Oxford University rebel students wore it instead of regular ankle boots and knee-length boots
- While shopping for oxfords, you can also find an array of options, such as wingtip, cap toe, buck,and other such Oxford inspired variations
- You can identify the Oxford through its closed lacing system featuring tight stitches along the bottom
- Another variant, theone-piece oxford, which is created using a single piece of premium leather material instead of sewing several pieces together to flaunt a minimalist look is also a great choice
- Oxfords are the first choice to team up with formal wear and are available mostly in brown and black leather
- High-top sneakers are a comfortable pair of footwear that have a compelling place in every man’s shoe closet, as they can top off any look right from stylish tailored suits to weekend sweats
- This footwear was once a favorite choice of athletes and has evolved drastically since its invention in 1890
- This classic and cool sneaker is known for its versatility, as it can be teamed up with any ensemble, thanks to the iconic status it has
- High-tops are available in different variants, such as side zipped, all-overprint, monogrammed two-tone, classic chucks, and so on
- Make sure you stock up on high-top sneakers crafted out of premium leather, soft suede,and canvas to rock your look when meeting your girlfriend, attending a party, or hanging out with your buddies
- To sport,the perfect look with high-tops, ensure the ends of your pant leg don’t get stuffed inside the sneaker
- Pair it with shorts, jeans, chinos,or slim-fit torn jeans to sport a cool, comfortable, and relaxed look topped up with a striped or white t-shirt along with a rider jacket
- Attend any formal event by experimenting withhigh-tops in dark colors with an ultra-tailored tuxedo, cropped trousers, and a sophisticated leather belt
The top brands in India selling high-top sneakers are Puma, Woodland, and Nike. You can check out the official Nike website for the best of the products. Do not forget to check out the top Nike coupons and discounts on our website.
- Low-top sneakers are durable footwear featuring a low-cut design at the ankles to offer excellent comfort to the wearer
- Adidas company introduced the first low-top sneaker, Superstar made of pure leather in the year 1969 for basketball players. Want to give ita try? Start using the Adidas offers and coupons to get them at a discounted price.
- Nike also rolled out the low-top sneakers under the Zoom Kobe series and this footwear has surged in popularity since then
- Make heads turn at your workplace by pairing white low-tops with a white shirt, blazer in adark shade, thin tie, and matching slim-fit trousers
- This footwear will also go well with leather jackets, shorts, cardigans, chinos,and striped t-shirts
At Amazon, the brands that sell the best low-top sneakers are Sparx, Puma, Fila, and Red Tape. We have a dedicated page for Puma coupons using which you can save money on your sneaker purchase.
- Technically a bit less formal when compared to their oxford counterparts, Derbies are a great choice to make any attire look complete
- It is easy to spot a derby pair with its distinct open-throated silhouette, parallel running leather flaps around the lace eyelets and above the vamp
- This shoe with an open lacing system and flap design sports a well-segmented design in terms of back, side, top, etc.
- While speaking in terms of function fit and comfortability, Derby tops the list, which explains why it was used as a sporting shoe and for hunting activities in the olden days
- Generally, Derbies come with rubberized or leather soles to deliver extra durability and grip
- Its ability to enhance regular denim and a suit makes it a practical choice
- If you are opting for a casual, relaxed look, go for Derbies in suede and opt for the ones in genuine leather to pull off a classy, polished look
- At the first glance, Bluchers and Derbies may look similar with an open lacing style, but when looking closely, you will not miss the large lace eyelet quarters of a Blucher pair
- While the two sides are stitched below the vamp in Derbies, two sides under the vamp are connected in Bluchers
- Having a rich history dating back to Napoleon’s period, Bluchers were worn by the Prussian army to defeat their French counterparts
- You can find several variations of blucher shoes, such as wingtip, semi-brogue, plain, etc.
- Crafted from fine calfskin leather, cowhide, etc., these shoes are often crafted with the Goodyear technique, which makes them a durable pair
- To add a bit of bling to your party attire like a velvet shirt or silk shirt, choose Blucher pair with embellishments or perforations while attending a party
- Go for a plain classic Blucher to spice up your office look or when meeting clients in a tux or tailored suit
- This stylish boot has strong Victorian roots and has been a favorite choice of men for over 150 years
- It has low heeled design and rounded toes with a tiny heel tab and the quarters as well as the vamp are built using a single leather piece
- Chelsea boots rose to fame after being worn by British rock stars and are a must have addition to your winter or fall closet
- The special feature of this pair of dress shoes is the well-pronounced lace design and sturdy construction, which makes it a great choice for trekking, camping, and hunting activities
- Elastic sides and sleek toe design make these ankle boots with clean look easy to put on and remove
- The minimalist look and classy silhouette make Chelsea boots a great choice for casual to semi-formal events
- Leather Chelsea boots in black can refine your look while worn with formal and semi-formal outfits
- Brown leather boots are a great choice for casual, semi-formal and smart casual clothes
- Suede Chelsea boots are edgy options for casual dresses to give off an urban or country vibe
- Designed for the stylish male, Loafers have become a quintessential staple in the modern male’s wardrobe
- This sturdy shoes have Scandinavian origin where it was created as the epitome of preppy culture, and has now transformed into a stylish footwear
- Featuring a lace-free design and low-cut profile, loafers are a perfect find for smart casual outfits and airy summer shorts
- Loafers in leather or suede look great when teamed up with jeans, cargo pants, shorts and t-shirts
- To talk about the Loafers, premium shoe brands like Reebok can serve your purpose. Surprisingly, you can avail of the Reebok promo codes to save your investment while shopping
- Designed with elegant perforations through the process called broguing, Brogues are classy pairsof shoes, which are must-haves in every man’s shoe closet.
- These signature perforations on Brogues are originally a functional feature that allowed the water to drain through when Irish men wore them while crossing swamps and bogs
- Full brogues or wing-tipped shoes that have aperforated design emulating the “W” letter at its center and around the sides
- Semi Brogue or half Brogue comes with perforations on the tip of its toe cap and a lot of decorative brogues at the shoe’s center
- Quarter brogue is a plain pair of shoes that don’t have any of the signature perforations on it
- This footwear with an open lacing style doesn’t have the tongue as a separate component
- Be it a waxed jacket of cotton or a tweed blazer with chinos or jeans, the English Brogues are a great choice as a casual footwear
- Brown and black Brogues complement formal wear like suits and jackets
- Remember, the less broguing on the shoe, the more formal it is
- Even though not as formal as brogues, this comfortable pair of dress boot is designed to end at the ankle
- This versatile boot flaunts a minimalist design with three to two pairs of lace eyelets and an open lacing system to exude the utmost comfort
- The derby-styled ankle high footwear has its roots in the British military owing to its durability and comfortability when used in desert conditions
- Chukka boots are available as lined and unlined versions are crafted with polished leather or soft suede
- It is available in variations like the plain front, apron, toe cap, full brogue,
- Chukkas crafted out of polished leather are a great choice for formal suits and trousers
- Suede Chukka boots can go well with casual wear outfits and smart casual ensembles
- Desert boot has its origin in the North African deserts and has come a long way to find a place in the fashionable streets of London
- This shoe with a rich heritage is an essential addition to any man’s closet
- This comfortable pair of boots are designed with a rubber sole for durability and are crafted using suede leather
- Even though Chukkas are designed to bridge the gap between casual and formal dressing, it leans more toward the casual dressing segment
- These versatile shoes are available in neutral shades of blue and brown to add versatility and elegance to all outfits
- From Chinos to denim, this versatile footwear is a practical choice for all trousers
- For a relaxed casual style, choose light-colored Desert boots, and for formal outfits choose dark-colored boots.
Monk Strap Shoes
- Monk Strap Shoes first originated in the 15th century from Europe. Since then, these shoes have been used by numerous users from monks to the general public.
- Today, these shoes are considered savvy dress shoes that are loved by all fashion enthusiasts.
- These shoes come in multiple types – single strap, double straps, etc., and can be worn according to personal choices.
- Monk strap shoes are known for their versatility as they can go perfectly with both casual and formal wear.
- These shoes are built using leather of different types and colors, which makes them comfortable to wear as dress shoes.
- Monk strap shoes go well with all outfits, like jeans, shorts, suits, and others.
- Darker monk strap shoes can go with all outfits over lighter ones.
- Boat Shoes were designed by Paul Sperry, a sailor, in 1935 and since then these shoes have gained immense popularity worldwide and are used in cities as well as college campuses.
- These shoes are comfortable and easy to wear due to their lightweight design and rubber sole.
- As these shoes come with lower sides, they can be worn without socks and provide natural ventilation for feet.
- These shoes are designed to be worn in summer and warmer climates.
- Boat Shoes are perfect for casual wear, like jeans, khakis, shorts, and can also be worn with blazers.
- Boat Shoes can be worn with all types of chinos and jeans.
- As they are made from leather; wear boat shoes for 1 hour daily so that they get enough time to break them in.
- With a history stretching back to the 14th century, it is evident that Espadrilles Shoes remain an iconic choice for fashion-conscious individuals.
- One classic design feature of these shoes is their rope-soled outsoles fashioned from jute fabric.
- Combined with styles such as flats and wedges, they bring effortless sophistication to any ensemble.
- Given their breathability and comfort even in hot weather conditions – perfect for transitioning into spring or summer months – they truly deserve recognition as essential pieces of footwear.
- Espadrilles can be worn with denim jeans, shorts, etc.
- These shoes will go perfectly with light t-shirts and shirts of various colors. And, they can be worn without socks as well.
- Moccasins have been an integral part of Native American culture for centuries, with the earliest examples believed to have arrived in America from Asia.
- The word ‘Moccasin’ comes from the language Powhatan, which is distinct from the Algonquian people.
- Their popularity has partly been attributed to their versatility, as these shoes can be worn for both formal and casual occasions and look great with almost any outfit.
- These shoes can be divided into two categories: hard-soled and soft-soled.
- Mainly, Moccasin shoes are made from leather which helps them last longer.
- Moccasins shoes can go with shorts, colored skinny jeans, formal dresses/suits, etc.
- Always go for colors that will suit your outfit and personality; blue, brown, and maroon-colored Moccasins are considered instant hits.
- Saddle Shoes were first introduced in the 1900s by shoe designer AG Spalding.
- Originally, these shoes were designed for sports purposes.
- They are named after a leather piece that has a shape of a saddle and are constructed of leather to last longer.
- Most frequent color combination of these Saddle Shoes are black and white or dark blue and white.
- Today these shoes are famous among all youngsters and golfers as well.
- These shoes go better with single-colored jeans, chinos, etc., and casual trousers, jackets, etc.
- Saddle shoes can be worn all season according to the color of the dress.
- Various archaeologists have discovered that the early styles of snow boots were used in ancient iceman eras. However, these shoes were formerly known as carriage boots were worn in 1860s.
- Over the years, these snow boots have seen various changes in design. In late 1930s, they came with fur, shearling, or a soft cloth along with a collar.
- Snow boots are meant for those people who spend more time in snow and wet areas.
- Generally, snow boots are made from leather or a mixture of leather and nylon to get protected in wet conditions.
- These shoes are waterproof in nature and have a rubber bottom.
- Snow Boots can be worn with short sleeve shirts and navy jeans
- They can also go perfect with jeans and overcoats
- Since the early 1900s, Hiking Boots have been evolving and upgrading to meet adventurers’ needs. One of the most impactful releases was in 1937 when Vibram Sole came into existence – allowing even greater comfort and security on treacherous trails.
- Originally, they were made from leather, however, today a variety of materials are used to manufacture them including synthetic fabrics and waterproof membranes.
- Hiking Boots are popular as they are designed to provide stability, support, and protection to customers’ feet and ankles. They help in preventing injuries from rocks, etc., by featuring high-cut uppers, padded collars, and reinforced toe caps.
- They are comfortable to wear for a longer time and fit well for most customers. Also, features like waterproofing, breathability, and traction are available in almost all hiking boots.
- These boots are available in various styles, and they must be chosen according to the hiking terrain.
- During summer, hiking boots will go perfectly with a colorful tartan twilled shirt and shorts.
- It is also cool to wear hiking boots with a vibrant sweater and a pair of corduroy in winter.
- Casual slip-on shoes were introduced in the early 20th century. They were originally made of leather but now materials like canvas, suede, and synthetic fabrics are used to manufacture them.
- “Loafer” was one of the earliest and most famous slip-on shoes that was introduced in 1930s. They were first designed as a casual shoe for men but gradually they became popular among both men and women.
- Casual slip-on shoes are specifically designed for convenience and comfort of the customer. These shoes have flexible soles, stretchy uppers, cushioned footbeds, etc., making them easy to wear and take off.
- These types of shoes are very versatile in nature as they can be worn with a variety of outfits.
- Casual slip-on shoes are particularly best for casual looks, like jeans and t-shirts. But they can also be worn with chinos and button-down shirts.
- They can also be worn with formal outfits with simple and minimalistic colors.
Whether you are using it as a style statement or as a comfy partner for travel, shoes are an integral part of your everyday attire. This explains why shoes have become an important part of every man’s wardrobe. Our guide to different types of shoes will help you find the right classy pair, which will be a worthwhile investment.
If you cover your bases or are a veteran shoe aficionado, our list of the top types of men’s shoes will help you learn the basics of identifying the shoe type to make the right choice. Follow our styling tips to take each stride with the utmost confidence.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful blog!